Tuesday, March 11, 2008 – I had been preparing my lesson plan for today’s Institute class since last Friday. The lesson, based on Hebrews chapters 7-10, was title was “By the Blood are Ye Sanctified.” My outline included two major concepts: Paul’s delineation of the reasons why Christ’s solitary sacrifice was superior to the daily ordinances of sacrifice under the law of Moses; and a discussion of the definition of sanctification. I had to do a lot of research on the latter concept. By late Monday night I thought my outline was complete.
However, I guess I was wrong about that. Sometime in the early morning hours I had a dream. The only thing in the dream was a message to me something along these lines: “Do not teach them so much about sanctification; teach them more about the role of the Savior’s atonement in the sanctification process.” When I awoke from my sleep this morning, I remembered instantly and clearly the message, and as I pondered upon what I had been told, it occurred to me that Paul’s audience probably already knew what sanctification meant. After all, they had been taught it for thousands of years (“For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God …” – Deuteronomy 7:6). What they didn’t completely understand was how the Lord’s infinite sacrifice made sanctification possible. So, I altered my lesson plan. It is nice to know that I am not completely in charge of what my students are taught.

1 comment:
Wish I could come to your classes.
Post a Comment