Thursday, March 27, 2008

Another Stick


When the Westenskow's were here last, we went walking where the butterflies over-winter. Cindy espied a Eucalyptus branch that had fallen alongside the footpath and asked me if it might be suitable for a hiking staff (for her). I examined it and hefted it and agreed that I could probably find a stick in there. We brought it home and leaned it up against the side of the garage with several other potential sticks. I began working on Cindy's last week and finished it today. I think it turned out alright. When I make a stick, I like to know who its owner will be, sort of like Grandma and her quilted silk baby blankets. This stick has Cindy's name on it, not only stamped on the leather hand-grip, but in every whittle and sanding stroke, with each pass of the staining pad, and in all the varnish. I love doing this.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ok you are a sweetheart! My kids love their sticks and so does my dad. Silkies are pretty loved at our house too! BTW I've never been quoted before. Thankyou.

Larry said...

You have been quoted before, but perhaps not in print. We quote you frequently in the classes we teach at the Institute, in Sunday School and in RS/Prsthd.