Thursday, April 30, 2009

Expired but Not Forgotten


My UK driving licence expired on my birthday a few days ago. I have carried it since returning from England because it was rather hard to come by. In the United Kingdom an American citizen may legally drive on the driver license (notice the spelling differences) issued by his or her state of residence for one year after entering the country. In the England Manchester Mission the senior couples from the US would travel to the Isle of Man (a sovereign nation within the mission boundaries) just before their year was up and thus restart the 12-month clock, thus avoiding the need to obtain a UK licence. About a year after Maureen and I arrived in the mission field, the Church's local legal guys decided that our little loophole wasn't legal after all, so we all began the process of getting a new licence. This involved driving lessons, passing a written exam and passing a driving test. The process takes about three months and costs about $500. Two of the men in our mission failed their tests and couldn't drive anymore. I was the first successful candidate; our mission president was the second. He gave me a high-five when I got mine; I gave him one when he got his.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

so are you renewing it next week?

Cindy said...

that is what I was going to say Rachel!!

Larry said...

Renewing it is just a Doctor's note saying that you are well enough to drive. We didn't bring one with us. Hopefully he will retain his licence until we ever come to England to stay longer than a year. I don't thhink that will happen!

Larry said...

Renewing it is just a Doctor's note saying that you are well enough to drive. We didn't bring one with us. Hopefully he will retain his licence until we ever come to England to stay longer than a year. I don't thhink that will happen!

Rachel said...

That's funny. I still carry my UK license with me everywhere I go. It makes for great conversations! :)

Rachel said...

That's funny. I still carry my UK license with me wherever I go. It makes for great conversations! :)

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.