Monday, June 23, 2008

Bounteous Harvest

The fruit in this bowl belongs to me in that I watered the fruit trees, dunged them, cultivated the ground around them, pruned them, carefully nurtured their branches, and then happily harvested the resulting oranges, limes and plums. But the real owner of the fruit and the trees is God, not me. He created the earth and it fullness. He provided the life-giving rain and the sunshine. And He allows me to care for a very small part of it all.  

He has given me more than fruit trees, however. He has given me a wonderful wife, the light of my life, and cherished children. He has given me friends and neighbors and he has asked me to love them as I love myself. This responsibility transcends a few fruit trees. It is my daily prayer that I can be worthy of that trust. 

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great commentary.